Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A bit more explanation regarding marriage attire

From Katie:

So here's the thing. A few observant friends and family members have asked, appropriately so, what's with the wedding attire--meaning, why the hell are you in winter jackets, hats, and scarves? Okay, well technically only I have a hat and scarf on.

The jackets--It was cold! and, as typical of Afghanistan, meaning: defying all reason, in the winter it is often colder inside than out. And it happened to be, and still mostly is, damn cold outside. So, as follows, it was incredibly cold inside our spartan family court room. Matter of fact, my toes remained white for several hours afterwards (I could digress to tell you about the later incident on the treadmill where I, with numb feet, 1. Fell off and 2. obliviously rubbed some the skin off my feet. Oops, I digressed)

The hat and scarf--My meek attempt at trying to keep my head covered out of respect for Afghan culture. I'll leave it at that for fear that our blog would become an endless diatribe.

(The below picture has absolutely nothing to do with what I was just talking about, but it was taken on a military base in Afghanistan by my loving husband.)

No comments: